Friday, May 20, 2011

What's Happening On The Farm

We have been planting a lot this week, getting ready for the rain that's coming this weekend...and even today.  Not sure how much we have gotten so far, but it rained pretty good for a little while.  We have planted green beans, cucumbers, zucchini/summer squash, sweet potatoes, asparagus, sweet corn, herbs, tomatoes, peppers, and I'm sure I am forgetting something.  We have gotten quite a bit accomplished thanks to all of our helpers.
 Here is a pic of our newly planted sweet corn field.  We are trying two different varieties this year, a bicolor and a white sweet corn.  I can't wait until harvest time...we love us some sweet corn!  My Mom and Randy also planted popcorn in another field down the hill.  That will be fun to try.  We've never grown our own popcorn before.
 Sorry for the picture quality on these by the way...it was super sunny out when I took them.  My strawberries are blooming!  I am really happy with the quality of the plants and seeds I ordered from Johnny's Selected Seeds, by the way.  They have great products and a high standard of quality.  I can't recommend them enough.
And here is a picture of my onion chives in bloom.  They really look pretty, more so than this picture shows.  So, things are growing...a little slower than I would like, but growing none the less.  I have to remind myself that we are doing great considering all of the other things on our plate, like my husband's full-time job off the farm and children to homeschool!

No comments:

Post a Comment